In the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) Mountains in northern New Mexico is a series of small pueblos. In many of them there is a small church established during the Spanish missions of the 17th century. This church in Picuris Pueblo (San Lorenzo) has changed over the years, and using historical records, it was rebuilt in the 1960s to resemble the church as it looked in 1778.
This small vine covered Roman Catholic chapel is located in the historic district of St. Augustine, Florida. As the accompanying sign mentions, it’s the fourth building at the location dating back to 1615 with the most recent reconstruction in 1915. This is considered the first shrine in the United States dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The chapel is surrounded by large grounds that include a cemetery and various memorials as part of the larger Mission Nombre de Dios (“Name of God”).