This historic Presbyterian church in Winnsboro, South Carolina dates from 1869. It’s a brick building with stucco on a granite foundation. The Presbyterians have had a congregation in the area since before 1785. An old cemetery surrounds the church that includes veterans of the American Revolutionary War.
The official name of this church is Stoney Creek Presbyterian Chapel of Prince William Parish. It has a long history to go with the name. It was organized in 1743, and the Greek Revival chapel was built in 1833. Union troops used the chapel as a hospital which may explain why it survived the war. The Congregation lasted until 1967 and the church is now maintained by a Presbyterian church in Beaufort, South Carolina. In the 1990s, the church appeared in a scene from the movie Forrest Gump where Tom Hanks prayed they would find some shrimp. In 2002 it was also added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Saltkehatchie Baptist Church was organized in 1790 near Buford’s Bridge, South Carolina. As was the case with many South Carolina churches, General Sherman’s troops destroyed the church during the Civil War. The current version of the church dates from 1915 and is located in Ulmer, South Carolina.
St. Peter’s A.M.E. was established in 1867 for freed slaves and is located in Colleton County, South Carolina. The Gothic Revival church was built around 1870 (remodeled 1952) and is part of the Walterboro Historic District’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Bethlehem Baptist was founded in the early 1800s as Barnwell Baptist Church. When the town’s Baptists expanded and moved to another location in 1854, the black members (both free and slaves) were given the church building. In 1868, it was rechartered as Bethlehem Baptist Church. In 1898 that building was demolished and the current church was built soon after. The church is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Wesley Chapel is just west of Florence, South Carolina and was founded near the end of the 18th century. The church was renamed Wesley Chapel in 1834 in honor of the British founder of Methodism. The building standing today (pictured above) was built in 1908.
Built in 1895, Summerville Presbyterian Church is actually part of a much older congregation. Near Charleston, the area was settled by Puritans relocating from New England and the town of Summerville originated as a summer hub for the low country of South Carolina’s farmers. After the Civil War, wealthy northerners began to winter there as well and it grew to be considered a southern resort area. The current church replaced a building built in 1831 damaged by an earthquake.