Las Trampas

San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico
San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico

Built in 1760, San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church is along the High Road to Taos, New Mexico. The village of Las Trampas was established in 1751 by a dozen families receiving a land grant from the Spanish governor.  The adobe walls are about six feet thick and the well-maintained church is considered one of the best preserved examples of Spanish Colonial architecture in New Mexico.  The National Park Service has a good history of the location here.  It’s located about ten miles away from San Lorenzo de Picuris.

San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico
San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico
Advertisements

San Geronimo Catholic

San Geronimo Roman Catholic Church, Taos Pueblo Heritage Site
San Geronimo Roman Catholic Church, Taos Pueblo Heritage Site

The Taos Pueblo is a World Heritage Site today and is technically still inhabited.  The pueblo has no electricity or indoor plumbing, so most of the community live just outside the 1000 year-old pueblo walls or in other locations and return for celebrations.  The first Spanish priest to the mission arrived in 1598 and a church was originally built in 1627. San Geronimo de Taos as it stands today was built in 1850.  The adobe church is the third building, having replaced those damaged in earlier conflicts.  The inside is very small and photography wasn’t permitted, so I’m including a few photos of the surrounding area instead.

San Lorenzo de Picuris

San Lorenzo de Picuris, Picuris Pueblo, New Mexico
San Lorenzo de Picuris, Picuris Pueblo, New Mexico

In the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) Mountains in northern New Mexico is a series of small pueblos.  In many of them there is a small church established during the Spanish missions of the 17th century.  This church in Picuris Pueblo (San Lorenzo) has changed over the years, and using historical records, it was rebuilt in the 1960s to resemble the church as it looked in 1778.