Mahone Bay in Nova Scotia is a postcard type town. Along the small bay in the center of town are a trio of old churches- St. James Anglican, St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran, and Trinity United. The mix of churches is the result of mostly German, Swiss and French settlers to the area in the mid-18th century.
Trinity Lutheran is a Gothic Revival building built in 1861 and moved to its present site in 1869. St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran was built in 1869 and St. James Anglican dates from 1887.
Left to Right – St. James Anglican, St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran, and Trinity United.
Trinity United Church of Canada, Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
St. John’s Evangical Lutheran Church, Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia was organized around 1857 and the current church shown here was completed in 1905. There are about 450 graves in the cemetery dating back to 1860.
Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church is in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. It’s a wood frame church built on a sandstone block foundation and includes a basement. The church was built in 1865 at the junction of the Avon River and Minas Basin by a former shipyard owner. It became part of the United Church of Canda in the early 1900s and services were held in the church until 1967. The church was added to the the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.
This church’s original congregation was Presbyterian and was organized sometime around 1850. It’s located in a small fishing village near the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia and appears to date from 1887. Today (since 1925) it serves the United Church of Canada.
Centreville United Church was built in 1856 and is located on Digby Neck in Nova Scotia, Canada. The wood frame church has a side tower and was constructed by the Methodist congregation. That congregation voted to leave the Methodist Church of Canada when the United Church of Canada was formed in 1925. Eventually it fell out of use and was purchased in 1970 and now sits on private land. The church is listed on Canada’s Historic Places.
Little Dutch Church is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia and is the second oldest building in the city. Originally known as St. George’s Church, The church was consecrated in 1760 and is also the oldest Lutheran church in Canada. Although built in the Cape Cod style, the building has been modified over the years to include a bell tower and steeple. The church also has a cemetery and continues to hold regular services.
All Saints Anglican Church is on the way to Digby, Nova Scotia. A small cemetery surrounds this combination of 18th century British Classicism and Colonial American meeting house style of construction. The church was built in 1845 and includes a square bell tower and gabled roof. It’s the oldest church still standing in Digby Neck and is included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.