Las Trampas

San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico
San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico

Built in 1760, San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church is along the High Road to Taos, New Mexico. The village of Las Trampas was established in 1751 by a dozen families receiving a land grant from the Spanish governor.  The adobe walls are about six feet thick and the well-maintained church is considered one of the best preserved examples of Spanish Colonial architecture in New Mexico.  The National Park Service has a good history of the location here.  It’s located about ten miles away from San Lorenzo de Picuris.

San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico
San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church, Las Trampas, New Mexico
Advertisements

Lamy Church

Mission Chapel of Our Lady of Light, Lamy, New Mexico
Mission Chapel of Our Lady of Light, Lamy, New Mexico

The Mission Chapel of Our Lady of Light is the highlight of Lamy, New Mexico.  The community was active when Lamy was the closest train stop to Santa Fe fifteen miles away.  When railroad travel decreased, the town dried up.  This Roman Catholic church was built in 1926, but was deconsecrated in 1994 due to low population in the town and the structural deterioration of the church.  The good news is that there are efforts now underway to restore the building.

Mission Chapel of Our Lady of Light
Stained Glass, Mission Chapel of Our Lady of Light

San Geronimo Catholic

San Geronimo Roman Catholic Church, Taos Pueblo Heritage Site
San Geronimo Roman Catholic Church, Taos Pueblo Heritage Site

The Taos Pueblo is a World Heritage Site today and is technically still inhabited.  The pueblo has no electricity or indoor plumbing, so most of the community live just outside the 1000 year-old pueblo walls or in other locations and return for celebrations.  The first Spanish priest to the mission arrived in 1598 and a church was originally built in 1627. San Geronimo de Taos as it stands today was built in 1850.  The adobe church is the third building, having replaced those damaged in earlier conflicts.  The inside is very small and photography wasn’t permitted, so I’m including a few photos of the surrounding area instead.

St. Francis De Assis

San Francisco de Asis, Golden, New Mexico
San Francisco de Asis, Golden, New Mexico

This small Catholic church in Golden, New Mexico was built in the 1830s to honor St. Francis of Assisi while the town was growing from a gold strike.  The latest restoration effort is detailed in this linked article from the Albuquerque Journal.

Entrance Wall to St. Francis De Assisi Catholic Church and cemetery.
Entrance Wall to San Francisco de Asis Catholic Church and cemetery.

Chimayo

Sanctuary of Chimayo, New Mexico
Sanctuary of Chimayo, New Mexico

El Santuario de Chimayo is an important pilgrimage church located in the hills of Northern New Mexico.  Initially a Catholic chapel was built on the site to serve the Spanish Mission, but was replaced by the current church in 1816.  During Holy Week each year, about 30,000 faithful make the trip for a pilgrimage.

Walking the grounds, there are several small shrines and fences where visitors have left crosses.  There’s also a room (El Pocito) in the rear of the church where dark soil from the area is blessed and taken by visitors for hopes of healing or cures. Although the room is filled with crutches and wheelchairs from visitors deciding they no longer needed them,  the church hasn’t officially opined on whether any miracles have occurred as a result.

The Church has a website with a lot more information on the history and some of the specifics of the location –  Sanctuary of Chimayo.

 

San Lorenzo de Picuris

San Lorenzo de Picuris, Picuris Pueblo, New Mexico
San Lorenzo de Picuris, Picuris Pueblo, New Mexico

In the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) Mountains in northern New Mexico is a series of small pueblos.  In many of them there is a small church established during the Spanish missions of the 17th century.  This church in Picuris Pueblo (San Lorenzo) has changed over the years, and using historical records, it was rebuilt in the 1960s to resemble the church as it looked in 1778.