St. James Episcopal was founded as a mission church for the Dakota Indians (Santee Sioux) settling in the area after being forced out of Minnesota after the 1862 Sioux Uprising. The first church was built in 1885 but was destroyed by fire in 1925. A new white frame church was then built and remains today.
Built in 1760, San Jose De Gracia Catholic Church is along the High Road to Taos, New Mexico. The village of Las Trampas was established in 1751 by a dozen families receiving a land grant from the Spanish governor. The adobe walls are about six feet thick and the well-maintained church is considered one of the best preserved examples of Spanish Colonial architecture in New Mexico. The National Park Service has a good history of the location here. It’s located about ten miles away from San Lorenzo de Picuris.
The Mission Chapel of Our Lady of Light is the highlight of Lamy, New Mexico. The community was active when Lamy was the closest train stop to Santa Fe fifteen miles away. When railroad travel decreased, the town dried up. This Roman Catholic church was built in 1926, but was deconsecrated in 1994 due to low population in the town and the structural deterioration of the church. The good news is that there are efforts now underway to restore the building.