Mt. Zion

Mount Zion Methodist, Hancock County, Georgia
Mount Zion Methodist, Hancock County, Georgia

Mt. Zion was organized as a Presbyterian church in 1813 and completed this building in 1814.  It’s located in Hancock County, Georgia and was used until 1903 when the membership fell to less than a dozen people.  Sold to the Methodists, it was used until 1958.  Unused for a few years, the church eventually was given to the local Historical Preservation group who has helped maintain the building since then.

 

 

Advertisements

Powelton Baptist

Powelton Baptist Church, Hancock County, Georgia
Powelton Baptist Church, Hancock County, Georgia

Powelton Baptist Church is a minute away from Powelton Methodist in Hancock County, Georgia.  It was organized in 1798, and some of the building above dates to then.  The interesting tower highlighting the building was added in 1822.  It’s considered the oldest existing Baptist church in the state.

Powelton Baptist Church, Hancock County, Georgia
Powelton Baptist Church on a sunnier day

Powelton Methodist

Powelton Methodist Church, Hancock County, Georgia
Powelton Methodist Church, Hancock County, Georgia

You’d never know Powelton, Georgia was a major crossroads in early Georgia by driving through it today.  Powelton Methodist has been around for much of that time, with this building believed to have been completed in 1830.  It’s located in a quiet part of Hancock County, about a half mile south of Powelton Baptist.  The church was last used in the 1980s, but is still in generally good shape.

Powelton Methodist Church, Hancock County, Georgia
Powelton Methodist Church

Rochelle Churches

Liberty Hill First United Methodist Church, Georgia (Wilcox County)
Liberty Hill First United Methodist Church, Georgia (Wilcox County)

Liberty Hill Methodist Church is in rural Wilcox County, Georgia, a little north of Rochelle.  This building was a replacement for an earlier structure and was finished in 1918.  According to the church sign, it was organized in 1888.  A modest cemetery with about 300 graves is adjacent.

In the town of Rochelle, is Rochelle United Methodist Church.  This church celebrated the 100th anniversary of the building in 2017.  They are currently raising funds to repair the large dome.

Rochelle United Methodist Church, Rochelle, Georgia (Wilcox County)
Rochelle United Methodist Church, Rochelle, Georgia (Wilcox County)

Holsey Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church is on Ashley Street.  The CME Church (formerly Colored Methodist Episcopal) was founded in 1870 by ex-slaves in Jackson, Tennessee and is one of three African-American Methodist denominations in the U.S.  I’m not sure on the age of this building.

Holsey Temple C.M.E. Church, Rochelle, Georgia (Wilcox County)
Holsey Temple C.M.E. Church, Rochelle, Georgia (Wilcox County)

 

Philomath Presbyterian

Philomath Presbyterian, Oglethorpe County, Georgia
Philomath Presbyterian, Oglethorpe County, Georgia

This rural church in Oglethorpe County, Georgia has had a long history.  From the historical sign next to the church –

This ancient Church has served under four names and in four counties. Liberty Presbyterian Church was organized by the Rev. Daniel Thatcher, about 1788. The original place of worship, a log house, was erected near War Hill, about seven miles from the present site. The church was called “Liberty”, because, though built by Presbyterians, all orthodox denominations were allowed to use it. The Presbytery of Hopewell, formed Nov. 3, 1796, held its first session in Liberty Church on March 16, 1798. Soon after 1800, the log house was abandoned, and a new structure erected at the top of Starr’s Hill on the old Greensboro Post Road. The name of the church was then changed to Salem.  This building was used until 1834, when the location of the Greensboro road was changed, and a new church edifice was erected at the site of the present Phillips Mills Baptist Church. In 1848, the Salem church building was sold to the Baptists, and the entire Presbyterian membership moved to Woodstock, now Philomath, where a new church edifice had been built.

 

Pavo Methodist

Pavo United Methodist, Pavo, Georgia (Thomas County)
Pavo United Methodist, Pavo, Georgia (Thomas County)

Pavo, Georgia’s Methodist church was built in 1902, though the congregation originated several decades earlier in 1869. Although Pavo is “turkey” in Spanish, the town was originally named for the Latin word for “peacock” in honor of a pioneer resident named D. Peacock.   This church was remodeled in the 1940s and again in 1987.