Zion United is also located in Sandy Cove, Nova Scotia near the United Baptist Church. This wooden building was built as a Methodist church in 1856 and that congregation later joined the United Church of Canada in the 1920s. There’s a cemetery surrounding the church and Zion United is also included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
In Digby Neck, Nova Scotia are a few old churches in the hamlet of Sandy Cove. Union Baptist Church is considered Greek Revival and was built in 1849 as a collaborative effort of local Baptist and Methodist congregations. It’s included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places along with the adjacent cemetery.
Built in 1791, Old Holy Trinity Church is a Georgian style church located in Middleton, Nova Scotia. The area was settled in part by British loyalists fleeing or ejected from the American colonies during the Revolutionary War. The building has changed very little from the end of the 18th century and is surrounded by a similarly aged cemetery. It’s included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Milford United Baptist Church in Nova Scotia was built circa 1890. The design is considered Greek Revival with Gothic Revival influences. the church is located in an isolated area and was originally serving the pioneer settlers in the region. It’s listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Although Zion Evangelical Lutheran’s church shown here was built in 1890, the congregation is the oldest Lutheran group in Canada. The Lutherans who settled in this part of Nova Scotia started holding services outdoors in 1753, then held services in the town’s Anglican church and eventually built their first building in 1772. That church lasted until 1841 and then later was replaced again by this Victorian Gothic building. It’s included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
Bay View United Church is a small church near Digby, Nova Scotia. The Greek Style building was built in 1873 by the local Presbyterians. In 1925 the church converted to the newly formed United Church. The location also has a small cemetery.
Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church is in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada. It’s a wood frame church built on a sandstone block foundation and includes a basement. The church was built in 1865 at the junction of the Avon River and Minas Basin by a former shipyard owner. It became part of the United Church of Canda in the early 1900s and services were held in the church until 1967. The church was added to the the Canadian Register of Historic Places in 1995.
Centreville United Church was built in 1856 and is located on Digby Neck in Nova Scotia, Canada. The wood frame church has a side tower and was constructed by the Methodist congregation. That congregation voted to leave the Methodist Church of Canada when the United Church of Canada was formed in 1925. Eventually it fell out of use and was purchased in 1970 and now sits on private land. The church is listed on Canada’s Historic Places.
Paroisse Saint-Pierre is located in the village of Cheticamp on Cape Breton Island, Canada. The church was built in 1893 in the French-Canadean Neo-classical style of architecture similar to churches near Quebec. The church was established as the fishing community was growing in this part of the island. The large stone church is primarily sandstone and includes an open, octagonal belfry and rounded arch windows with keystones. It was added to the list of Canada’s Historic Places in 2004.
Little Dutch Church is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia and is the second oldest building in the city. Originally known as St. George’s Church, The church was consecrated in 1760 and is also the oldest Lutheran church in Canada. Although built in the Cape Cod style, the building has been modified over the years to include a bell tower and steeple. The church also has a cemetery and continues to hold regular services.