Centreville United Baptist Church is only a few yards away from Centreville United in Nova Scotia, Canada. It was a church discovered by driving by and nothing found yet on its history.
St. Andrews Church and cemetery are located on the Moser River, north of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The town relies on tourism and forestry these days and the dwindling population has led the congregation to disband. The church is now for sale.
Zion United is also located in Sandy Cove, Nova Scotia near the United Baptist Church. This wooden building was built as a Methodist church in 1856 and that congregation later joined the United Church of Canada in the 1920s. There’s a cemetery surrounding the church and Zion United is also included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
In Digby Neck, Nova Scotia are a few old churches in the hamlet of Sandy Cove. Union Baptist Church is considered Greek Revival and was built in 1849 as a collaborative effort of local Baptist and Methodist congregations. It’s included on the Canadian Register of Historic Places along with the adjacent cemetery.
Selma United in Hants County, Nova Scotia is another former Methodist church that became (as of 1925) part of the Church of Canada. The cemetery behind the church dates from 1824 and I assume the congregation was established about that time. No longer actively used as a church, the building is now a community meeting space.
On the western shore of the Bay of Fundy is Lower Cape, New Brunswick. This Baptist church was established in 1825 and the Meeting House used by the congregation was destroyed by fire in 1888. This replacement building was completed in 1892. The church has been restored and now is covered with vinyl siding and rectangular windows without stained glass. An old cemetery surrounds the church.
The area around Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia has been settled by various groups for several hundred years. The French began colonizing Nova Scotia in the early 1600s and started their settlement in this area soon after. The Saint-Jean Baptist Parish (renamed later) was founded in 1636 and is considered Canada’s second oldest Roman Catholic Parish. This church, built in 1910, replaced a smaller building and has a mix of Greek Revival and Second Empire architectural styles.