More Georgia churches to add, but this time with more elaborate brick buildings than the normal wood structures. Considered a Victorian Romanesque style, Sacred Heart Catholic Church is in Augusta, Georgia. With twin spires, extensive detail, and even stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany, the building is one of the most interesting in the city. The Parish dates from 1874 and they built this church in 1898.
Organized in 1887, Cordele’s First UMC first built a church in 1891. They quickly outgrew the initial building and built this brick structure in 1914.
The Greek population in Augusta, Georgia organized a church in 1911 and built this brick building in 1921. It’s considered the oldest Greek Orthodox church in the southeast.
The cornerstone of First Baptist Church in Elberton, Georgia was laid in 1897. The church organized in 1860 and has had several significant additions over the years as the church has continued to expand.
Built in 1913, Woodville Baptist has some Gothic Revival elements and is located in a railroad community in Greene County. There’s also a cemetery in the rear of the church. The church is included on the National Register of Historic Places.
I stopped briefly in the town of Bamberg, South Carolina and snapped a few photos of a pair of older brick churches in the center of town. Bamberg First Baptist Church was organized in 1872 and is in its third building, built in 1928. The architectural style is considered Georgian Revival.
Its neighbor is Trinity United Methodist, which first built a church around the same time the town of Bamberg was founded in 1855. This is also their third church building, completed in 1905 in a Gothic Revival style.
Trinity United Methodist Church, Bamberg, South Carolina
Although the brick building shown here was built in 1916, Macedonia Primitive Baptist Church dates back to 1848. Originally started by local plantation owners and farmers, the location of the church has moved a couple times prior to this spot at the edge of a corn field in Sasser, Georgia.
Paroisse Saint-Pierre is located in the village of Cheticamp on Cape Breton Island, Canada. The church was built in 1893 in the French-Canadean Neo-classical style of architecture similar to churches near Quebec. The church was established as the fishing community was growing in this part of the island. The large stone church is primarily sandstone and includes an open, octagonal belfry and rounded arch windows with keystones. It was added to the list of Canada’s Historic Places in 2004.
Another small town church. Happy Home Baptist is found in Allendale, South Carolina. Although the congregation was formed just after the Civil War and originally used the name Zion Branch Baptist Church, it later renamed and this Gothic Revival brick church was built in 1911.
North Grand Church, near Hettinger, North Dakota looks more stable on the outside than it does inside. Serving the nearby Lutherans, the church was active between 1909 and 1969. There’s a small cemetery in the back of the property and the isolated church sits surrounded by farmland for several miles.
Facing towards the altar space. North Grand Church, near Hettinger, North Dakota (Adams County)
North Grand Church, near Hettinger, North Dakota (Adams County)
Facing towards the rear of the church. North Grand Church, near Hettinger, North Dakota (Adams County)