The Basilica of The Immaculate Conception is a Late Victorian Gothic church in downtown Jacksonville, Florida. The first church was built of wood and dedicated in the mid 1800’s. In 1901, the church was one of over 2300 buildings destroyed by the city’s “Great Fire”, though the large statue of Virgin Mary remained in place.
Today’s Basilica was built in 1910 primarily of Kentucky limestone. Stained glass windows imported from Germany also highlighted the new building, which was the tallest in Jacksonville at the time. A more detailed history is included on the church’s website. It’s also included on the National Register of Historic Places.