Melk Abbey is about an hour’s drive from Vienna, Austria and was founded on an rocky overlook in 1089 when the former castle was gifted to the Benedictine monks by Leopold II of Austria. The abbey has had several fires and suffered severe damage from invading Turks, but was largely rebuilt in 1702. It’s a Baroque complex that includes a school and museum and is a popular tourist spot these days.
This church is a little older than the average. Saint Vitus Cathedral is in central Prague and is the third church on this site. Construction of this gothic cathedral started in 1344 when the the King of Bohemia wanted a church for coronations, royal burials, and a treasury for the most valuable relics of the kingdom. Work on different parts of this massive church continued at various times over the next 600 hundred years and was considered finally finished in 1929. There is a lot of history online with more details and a virtual tour on the church’s website. In 1997 the church was rededicated as the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saints Vitus, Wenceslaus and Adalbert.
Mt. Zion was organized as a Presbyterian church in 1813 and completed this building in 1814. It’s located in Hancock County, Georgia and was used until 1903 when the membership fell to less than a dozen people. Sold to the Methodists, it was used until 1958. Unused for a few years, the church eventually was given to the local Historical Preservation group who has helped maintain the building since then.
Powelton Baptist Church is a minute away from Powelton Methodist in Hancock County, Georgia. It was organized in 1798, and some of the building above dates to then. The interesting tower highlighting the building was added in 1822. It’s considered the oldest existing Baptist church in the state.
You’d never know Powelton, Georgia was a major crossroads in early Georgia by driving through it today. Powelton Methodist has been around for much of that time, with this building believed to have been completed in 1830. It’s located in a quiet part of Hancock County, about a half mile south of Powelton Baptist. The church was last used in the 1980s, but is still in generally good shape.
Liberty Hill Methodist Church is in rural Wilcox County, Georgia, a little north of Rochelle. This building was a replacement for an earlier structure and was finished in 1918. According to the church sign, it was organized in 1888. A modest cemetery with about 300 graves is adjacent.
In the town of Rochelle, is Rochelle United Methodist Church. This church celebrated the 100th anniversary of the building in 2017. They are currently raising funds to repair the large dome.
Holsey Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church is on Ashley Street. The CME Church (formerly Colored Methodist Episcopal) was founded in 1870 by ex-slaves in Jackson, Tennessee and is one of three African-American Methodist denominations in the U.S. I’m not sure on the age of this building.
This rural church in Oglethorpe County, Georgia has had a long history. From the historical sign next to the church –
This ancient Church has served under four names and in four counties. Liberty Presbyterian Church was organized by the Rev. Daniel Thatcher, about 1788. The original place of worship, a log house, was erected near War Hill, about seven miles from the present site. The church was called “Liberty”, because, though built by Presbyterians, all orthodox denominations were allowed to use it. The Presbytery of Hopewell, formed Nov. 3, 1796, held its first session in Liberty Church on March 16, 1798. Soon after 1800, the log house was abandoned, and a new structure erected at the top of Starr’s Hill on the old Greensboro Post Road. The name of the church was then changed to Salem. This building was used until 1834, when the location of the Greensboro road was changed, and a new church edifice was erected at the site of the present Phillips Mills Baptist Church. In 1848, the Salem church building was sold to the Baptists, and the entire Presbyterian membership moved to Woodstock, now Philomath, where a new church edifice had been built.