Cades Cove is a historic valley on the Tennessee side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Federal government created the park in the early 20th century and preserved a number of the original buildings located in the cove once the remaining settlers were no longer living on park land. A Missionary Baptist Church, A Primitive Baptist Church, and a Methodist Church are accessible today along the 11 mile loop. The Methodist Church was originally built in the 1820s, but the one shown here replaced it in 1902. Although this building has the separate door design for men and women entrances, in practice the sexes weren’t divided inside.
Missionary Baptist Church was an offshoot from the other Baptist Church in the cove when the members were expelled due to their favoring missionary work. The church formed in 1839 and the building shown here dates from 1915. The church finally closed in 1944.