Canon Unitarian Universalist is the last of the three churches sitting close together in the heart of Canon, Georgia. Canon Baptist and Canon Methodist were shown in earlier posts. This church, located just south of the Baptist Church (in the background), is active and dates back to circa 1885. Significant architectural features include Gothic-arched doors and windows and the interior has the original pews. It’s also included on the Canon Churches entry in the National Register.
Brinson Methodist was organized in 1867 as Spring Creek. Next it was Mt. Zion and later Brinson Methodist. The current church building in Decatur County, Georgia dates from 1901 and the parsonage from about 1915. It’s part of Brinson Historic District’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places .
Organized around the time of the Civil War, First Presbyterian is located in Union Point, Georgia. This brick church was built in 1898 and features large stained glass windows. The church was locked when I was there, but photos of the windows from the interior are included on the HRCGA website.
Evergreen Congregational Church and School are in Grady County located in southern Georgia. It was originally organized in 1903, demolished in 1925, and rebuilt in 1928 along with a one-classroom school (1911). The church is listed on the National Register due to the historic nature and importance in the rural African-American community in this region of the state. A former mayor of Atlanta (Andrew Young) was also pastor here for a few years. A thorough history of the church is listed on the National Park Service website at this link.
Located in Metcalfe, Georgia, Friendship Baptist was built around 1889. It was added when the town began prospering with railroad traffic. Within about 20 years, growth slowed and agriculture continued to be a primary driver for the town. The church is still active today.
The last of the Darien, Georgia churches is St. Cyprian’s Episcopal. It was another church founded by former slaves, this time in the coastal area of southern Georgia. It’s also fairly unique in that it was largely built of tabby (see Woodbine Episcopal) when completed in 1876. It’s affiliated with Darien’s St. Andrew’s Episcopal.
Although the last regular service at Springhill Methodist Church in Thomas County, Georgia was held in the 1970’s, it’s still in good shape after a restoration a few years ago. The old church was organized in 1823 and initially used a log building until this one was finished about a decade later. The cemetery on the grounds has about a hundred graves.