In addition to the Presbyterian church, White Springs, Florida has a Methodist church nearby. It was built in 1890, though originally founded in 1830.
Built in 1881, Citra Methodist Episcopal is in Citra, Florida not far from the Baptist church in town. Citra was one of the largest citrus producers in the late 1800s and the home of a railroad stop. Originally, the Methodist Episcopal ministers would ride a circuit for periodic services, but eventually a local congregation was formed (1880) which led to the vernacular style church above. The building is included on the National Register.
Archer (Florida) United Methodist Church was established in 1891. The church is still active and you can see some interior photos on their website. it’s located on a residential street near the center of town.
Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church in Gainesville, Florida celebrated its 150th anniversary last year. The church was founded by the newly freed slave community and originally had a wooden building. That building was replaced with a brick version in 1887, but was destroyed by fire in 1903. This brick Romanesque Revival building on NW 2nd Street above was later completed in 1906.
Southwest United Methodist was only organized in 1966, but they apparently weren’t the original owners of this church on SW Williston Road. So far no luck on finding who was and when it was completed.
Friendship Missionary Baptist Church is located about two blocks from Mount Pleasant on NW 2nd Street and originally spun off from another Baptist Church (Mount Moriah Baptist) in 1888. The first church was burned down in 1911 and a Romanesque Gothic Revival structure (above) was then built.
The Homeland, Florida Heritage Park in southern Florida has a few historical buildings, including this church. Originally Bethel Methodist Church, the first building was completed in 1878 and this church replaced it in 1887. A wooden steeple was destroyed by a hurricane in 1946 and was replaced with the aluminum one here. The congregation held services until the 1970s and then the church was empty for a few years. In 1986 the building was moved to this park area and is used for community events and weddings.
Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church is not far from the historical sites of St. Augustine, Florida. The church was established in 1929 and the marker in front of the church partially reads – “This spiritual and civic citadel was established in 1929 with Rev. R.H. Whittaker as spiritual leader, and Chairman of the Board of Deacons, D.P. Mims. This church, the gateway to New Augustine, experienced phenomenal growth under the
inspired leadership of Rev. J.A. Wright, beginning in 1955 — becoming a spiritual beacon of New Augustine and emerging leader and light of civic pride in The Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.”
Saint Ambrose Catholic Church is located west of St. Augustine before you arrive at Palatka, Florida, near the town of Elkton. The Parish was established in 1875 to reach the small farming communities in this part of Florida. Mass was originally held in a barn and then a small wood frame church was used until the current church was built in 1907. On the property, the original French priest used his carpenter skills to also build a rectory, school, and convent. The school was used from 1881 until 1948 to teach the early Spanish, Irish, Greek and Italian settlers’ children. A good number of these early settlers are buried in the cemetery also on the property.