More Georgia churches to add, but this time with more elaborate brick buildings than the normal wood structures. Considered a Victorian Romanesque style, Sacred Heart Catholic Church is in Augusta, Georgia. With twin spires, extensive detail, and even stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany, the building is one of the most interesting in the city. The Parish dates from 1874 and they built this church in 1898.
Organized in 1887, Cordele’s First UMC first built a church in 1891. They quickly outgrew the initial building and built this brick structure in 1914.
The Greek population in Augusta, Georgia organized a church in 1911 and built this brick building in 1921. It’s considered the oldest Greek Orthodox church in the southeast.
The cornerstone of First Baptist Church in Elberton, Georgia was laid in 1897. The church organized in 1860 and has had several significant additions over the years as the church has continued to expand.
Built in 1913, Woodville Baptist has some Gothic Revival elements and is located in a railroad community in Greene County. There’s also a cemetery in the rear of the church. The church is included on the National Register of Historic Places.