St. Thomas Episcopal Church was founded as a mission church for former slaves following the Civil War. The church is in a wooded area not far from the small town of Eastover, South Carolina. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the history of the church explains that black membership in the Episcopal church fell significantly after the Civil War. A wealthy local planter was appointed to try and maintain that membership in the area and so built a chapel (Saul Chapel) on his plantation. Soon after, a Sunday School was started for the local black children. The chapel burned down in 1891 and was rebuilt as St. Thomas in 1893. The church is still in use today and there is a cemetery on the grounds with what looked like mostly recent graves.