First Missionary Baptist Church, Fernandina Beach, Florida
Fernandina Beach is a small coastal town in the northeast corner of Florida. The area was founded by the Spanish as a military outpost and a mission not long after they established St. Augustine to the south. The small center of town has several old churches including the three shown here. First Missionary Baptist Church (above) was organized in 1860 and later built a gothic-style church in 1874. It’s the oldest Black Missionary Baptist church still in service in the state. The church was last renovated in 2007.
Trinity Church has history back to 1822 when a missionary came to Amelia Island to establish a congregation. Their first church was eventually built in 1869 and was replaced by this masonry brick building in 1891.
First Presbyterian Church is a simple frame building with a small entrance porch. It’s the oldest church standing in town, built in 1859.