Outside of Savannah, Georgia, is St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church, built in 1896. The congregation formed in 1832 by the Episcopal Church to evangelize local slaves. There were approximately 1,000 slaves working the nearby rice fields at the time. The Victorian style church features a raised altar and windows of varying heights with pointed arches. Next to the church is a parish hall (1897) that was used as a schoolhouse until 1951. Although the church has a smaller congregation than it used to, services are still held on a semi-regular basis.