Smyrna Baptist Church was organized in 1827 and originally called Kirkland Church after its Reverand. In 1836 the name was changed to Smyrna Baptist. It’s located off of Highway 22, near Allendale, South Carolina. The architecture is an antebellum frame structure of meeting house design on a brick foundation. It’s uncertain when the building was built but the best estimate is 1827. A metal roof was added in the 1970s and the church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. A small cemetery surrounds the structure where many of Allendale’s earliest prominent families were buried.